Experience. Integrity. Attention. Understanding.

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family Law
  4.  | Paternity And Fathers’ Rights

Understanding Father’s Rights and Determining Paternity

In Florida, if parents are not married to each other at the time the child is born, legal paternity must be established in order for a father to enjoy the same parental rights as a mother. Paternity can be established voluntarily by executing an affidavit at the hospital when the child is born. However, a court order proving paternity may be required in the future. It is important to understand your rights as a father. At The Law Offices of Justin Rickman, we know how important your child is to you. We have been helping fathers in Central Florida protect their rights since 2004.

Fathers in Florida Have Rights. Know Yours.

As a father, you deserve time with your children. If you are facing a divorce or are having disagreements over child custody, we are ready to help. We will provide honest and straightforward advice about how to proceed with your case. We will do what we can to make sure you continue to be an important part of your child’s life.

Fathers deserve just as much say in a child’s life as mothers. We will fight by your side to help you achieve a custody and child support agreement that you are happy with. We also help unmarried fathers protect their rights. Our goal is to ensure our clients’ rights are represented, and they are happy with the outcome achieved based on the circumstances.

Understanding Paternity in Florida

When parents are married and have a child, the law assumes the father is the parent. However, things are different if the parents are unmarried. If the man believes he is the father, he can sign an “acknowledgment of paternity” form which can be used to defend any future custody or time-sharing actions that may be brought against him.

We will take the time to understand your case and work it with the respect it deserves. If you have been ordered to pay child support but do not believe the child is yours, you can request the court to order a DNA test. If you are not the father, you can petition to stop payment.

Have A Paternity Issue? Call Us Now.

Our staff has more than 40 years of combined experience dealing with these complicated issues. We serve fathers in Lake, Sumter, Orange, Osceola and Polk counties. If you want to set up a consultation, give us a call today at 352-269-8652, or contact us online.